Education and companies:
Initiated by the University of Guyana and GBH to bring the world of work and universities together to help young people find employment
The 8th edition of the Student Career Forum, initiated by the University of Guyana and GBH, was held on Thursday 15 November 2018 on the Troubiran Campus. The University of Guyana and GBH have increased their efforts in helping young people find work by signing a partnership agreement last year, whose ambition is to bring the world of business closer to those of schools and universities.
A partnership to improve the professional integration of young Guianese people. The aim of this partnership agreement between the University of Guyana and GBH is two-fold: to pool both partners’ skills and resources and to facilitate the exchange of experience and skills between company executives and students.
Actions carried out by the University of Guyana and GBH:
• Raise awareness among young people about higher education and the business world
• Develop close and supportive relationships with students
• Reward excellence with personalised professional mentoring
Besides offering internships in some of the Group’s businesses, company visits, assistance for students in their job search, the Career Forum is one of the partnerships’ flagship actions.
Eighth edition of the Career Forum
This forum is for university, EGC (business school), BTS (advanced vocational diploma), IUT (Polytechnic) and preparatory class students.
The aim is to create interactive meetings between students, teachers and business executives to provide students with practical information on different professions, how to enter them and career prospects. This year, the forum’s theme will be how to prepare for an interview.
Thematic conference 8:45 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
- After the opening speech, the forum will begin with a conference: “The key to successful interviewing; how to stand out” led by Yannick Plante, the Chief Executive of Alizés RH, consultancy firm that is established in the overseas territories.
Career workshops 9:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- To acquire a better understanding of their courses and careers, throughout the morning students will be able to participate in various career workshops held by teachers with the support of professionals.
Company stands, information and guidance 9:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- Students will also have the opportunity to talk to managers and human resource officers either directly at the company stands or in an individual interview. At the stands, they will also be able information for them on how to start a business and about working oversea.